Friday, July 12, 2013

The Home brewing learning curve

I love to home brew.  When I began home brewing, I didn't start the simple way.  True to my A type personality, I read and reread John Palmer's How to Brew Beer.  I decided that if I was going to learn to brew beer I needed to learn every aspect.  Thus I started brewing all grain from the beginning.  With dear husband's (Jonathan) consent, I went out and bought a bunch of second hand home brewing equipment that a guy was selling on Craigslist.  I drove all the way down to San Clemente from the Westside of Los Angeles on a Saturday afternoon to pick up the stuff.  Back at home 5 hours later (yup, Southern California traffic) I was a proud owner of a bunch of home brewing equipment that, to be honest, I wasn't sure how to use.  I even ordered a malt mill (over kill, right?)

Standing outside the Home Beer Wine and Cheese Shop in Woodland Hills (Props Sean!) I was totally intimidated by it's rugged exterior but more by it's 1960's screen front door.  I felt like I was entering a man cave that no woman should enter without consent or a male counterpart.  Knowing that the malt grains, hops and yeast I needed where just on the other side, I stepped over the threshold into what has become one of my most favorite places.  The place is AWESOME!  They pretty much have everything you need.  Sean is totally cool and helpful.

I had done my research and created a recipe loosely based on several beers that Jonathan and I liked.   Jonathan took our girls out of the house so I could focus on brewing.  When our oldest ask why mommy wasn't coming with them, Jonathan replied, "Mommy is brewing Daddy's Sanity." 6 hours later and a super sticky kitchen floor, I had my wort in a conical fermentor.  Thus "Sanity IPA" was born.

Learning to brew all grain was the best decision I made.  It gave me a better understanding of the art of  mixing grains to create recipes.

Status Update on the brewery plans...
We have submitted an offer to lease a place.  YIKES!  (hint: it's on the westside of LA!)
I have received my first investor check.  AWESOME!
Narrowing down the brew system manufacturer. Will post once the decision is made.
Identified and sourced all necessary equipment besides the brew house. (which is a TON!)
Working on the brewery configuration.
Secured an RAD designer for the tasting room.  Totally STOKED!


That's all for now.

ciao.
L



1 comment:

  1. Wines never really go out of style, and is always available in the market. There are a lot of great tasting wines that you can choose from, with different brands and different quality. And I think it’s really nice that you’re planning on putting up your own brewing business. Anyway, thanks for sharing this post with us, Lynne. Good luck with your future endeavors!


    Irvin Moss @ ShopBrewmeisterCA

    ReplyDelete