Sunday, September 22, 2013

Idea to Success

Last weekend we invited two near and dear friends over for dinner.  Over the course of our friendship, Alix and Troy have been fantastic to us and our family.  I have so much respect for both of them.  Alix is incredibly talented - check out her company Sutton Place Cookies.   Troy (Senior Vice President ofMarketing and Advertising for YapStone) has been a consistent source of wise, simple, yet mind bending advice.  I shared how starting a business is much more difficult in real life than on paper.  That unexpected obstacles come out of nowhere.  There are hurdles that you have to jump over to avoid getting tripped up.

Troy grabbed a piece of paper and made this diagram:


Troy said that most of society views Success as having a direct linear relationship to an Idea.  It makes sense from an outside perspective.  They see the Idea and they see the resulting Success.  Failure is not an option based on this diagram.

But what actually occurs is the following:


Here failure IS an option, even a requirement.  Failure is an opportunity to learn.  Every lesson learned from the previous failure brings you one step closer to Success.  Failure is not what we strive for and we work very hard to avoid it.  But the lessons learned are invaluable.  

The vast majority of Success occurs with failure as an option.  Those who learn from their past failures Succeed.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn,
    My name is Bradley Smith, I'm an account executive fro Criveller California/Criveller Brewtech. I was visiting one of my clients today at Barrelhouse Brewing Co. George Numair, He was telling me met you a while back and that you were starting a new brewery. The guys at Barrelhouse brew on one of our brewhouses although an older model, and George said you might be interested in hearing more about Criveller. That's why I'm contacting you today, just to pass on my information and hopefully talk to you about it. I was also reading a bit on your blog here and noticed you speaking of Hangar 24, Those guys are also my clients. Anyway I'm a brewer as well and I am interested to hear more about your plans even if you already have what you need give me a call or an email.
    Cheers,
    Bradley Smith
    Criveller California
    bscrivca@sonic.net
    Cell: (805) 206-5692
    Office: (805) 239-1844

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bradley! George up at Barrelhouse is doing some great work up there. Loved their honey ginger ale. We actually have already selected our brewhouse system, but always love to chat about beer. Thanks for taking an interest in Three Weavers!

    ReplyDelete